“Why don’t they prospect?”
We both smirked at the outburst and then started to dissect the three reasons inside salespeople resist prospecting.
> what is completely missing in your environment that prevents your team from prospecting?
Here are three I see all the time:
1. no efficient way to gather information about companies who would make the best targets.
2. frustration that the data is bad/old/duplicate.
3. no clear, manageable next step to “find new customers”.
> they know WHAT to do & HOW to do it… yet aren’t willing to.
Top 3 here are:
1. it is frustrating.
2. I don’t like to bother people.
3. I tried and it doesn’t work.
Don’t Know How
> it isn’t that they don’t know what prospecting is – it is they don’t have a prospecting plan that works.
Which looks like:
1. I don’t know what to say.
2. What questions should I ask?
3. How often do I call?
NOTE: the Can’t – Won’t – Don’t Know How Model was developed by Dr. Hannah Rudstam of Cornell University, School of Industrial & Labor Relations, 2005
Can’t – needs organizational change to overcome.
Won’t – is when you as the sales leader need to put your coaching hat on.
Don’t Know How – indicates training is needed.
photo courtesy of © Andre Klopper | Dreamstime