If we were sitting around having coffee together – I could go on and on about my philosophy that you can be responsible TO people, but not FOR them.
You don’t have to agree with that philosophy to realize that as a sales manager you can’t MAKE anyone on your team do something. Instead as a manager – you are responsible TO inspire your salespeople into putting in the effort required to be successful.
How to do that is, of course not as easy as that simple statement might make it sound, so here are 11 tips to help you inspire effort:
1. talk about results first.
2. only push your version of process if the salesperson doesn’t have their own method that will achieve the results.
3. share the WHY behind all your requests.
4. never ask someone on your team to do anything you aren’t willing to do yourself.
5. be open to salespeople sharing their fear with you and working through it with them.
6. create a team that believes you will not flip out if they fail
7. deal with failure to try differently from failure to achieve the desired result.
8. every conversation needs to be about THEM not what you want (hey that sounds like sales, hmmm).
9. consistency is critical!
10. when a salesperson comes to you, start by asking them what they think.
11. and finally, as one of my mentors says, “inspect what you expect”
© Joel Carter | Dreamstime Stock Photos