I can’t remember who it was that taught me to do this, but it is another exercise that may be the missing step on your way to achieving your goals. Yet when it is explained, it makes so much sense (at least to me).
Here are a few ‘options’ of resource lists that may help you reach your goals:
- Skills/Knowledge: what do you already know… or know how to do that will help you achieve your goal?
- People: who do you already know that you can use when you need help, support, information
- Information: are there books you own, websites you’ve visited, blogs you read, publications – etc
Now that you’re thinking about what a resource list might be – here is the exercise:
- Write your goal at the top of the page.
- Without thinking too much – write down all the things you already KNOW that will help you get to your goal .
(for the extroverts out there – talk about this over lunch instead of staring at a blank page)
- Now write down all the places you would go if what you know isn’t enough.
- Plus all the people you would talk with to learn more.
- Who are the people who will be supportive?
- How about the people who will challenge you to be your best?
- What else would help to have notes about later when you’re facing obstacles on your way to achieving your goal?
There you go – now you’ve created your own arsenal of resources to help you achieve your goal! All that you need to do now is take action… yes I mean right now, go do something.